Thursday, December 20, 2007

Web 2.0 Awards

Web 2.0 Awards

I decided to create this post on Google Docs. No time like the present to use what I've learned. Right? By doing this I also learned that your headline is not automatically posted as a headline in the default font. You have to edit your post, cut the headline from the body of the post and paste it into the title box.

Yelp.com a city guide that boasts "Real People Real Reviews" looks interesting. I'm a Bostonian, but I've lived in several cities. I realized recently that I have spent most of my adult live in Chicago, so that's the city I'll explore.

I did searches on "theatre" and "theater." The results were almost identical, but they were listed in different orders, and for some reason the Art Institute of Chicago topped both lists. I was happy to see that the lists include legitimate theatres and indie movie houses as well as chain movie theatres. And the reviews are pretty accurate. I'm pleased to have been introduced to this site, and I will refer to it for information about New York City as well as information about other cities when I'm making travel plans.

Yelp.com encourages you to find or write reviews. It lets you bookmark sites. It also gives you lists of events this week and event updates and lets you list events you plan to attend (Beware of stockers). As a social networking site, it encourages you to add friends and invite friends to become "yelpers."

I think this would be a valid site to use for answers -- or at least leads to answers -- to questions from customers about attractions in New York as well as other cities. Most of this kind of information is subjective, anyway, so why not get it from a local source. Just remember to cite your source.

No comments: