Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Itinerant Librarian

Today is day seven at the Bay Terrace Community Library. In February I applied for the newly created job of roaming community library manager; I was offered and accepted the job of roaming assistant community library manager. I started on March 31. Since Ouleye Doumouya, who was named roaming community library manager, is on the team that planned and until July will be giving new integrated library system (ILS)training, I don't think the roaming team will get up and running any time soon.

In the meantime I have been assigned to Bay Terrace, where I'm getting some OJT as a community library librarian, and, I hope, as an assistant community library manager. So far I have been getting to know the ins and outs of the old ILS, knowledge, which, of course, will become obsolete in July. But I'm also seeing first-hand how a community library works and how service at the community libraries differs from service at Central. It's much more personal. I do things I would never do at Central. I go to the shelf to find books customers want. I put reserves on books not yet on the shelf. I override the SAM system to let customers stay on the computers longer than an hour. I call other community libraries to ask that books be put aside for customers who want to go get them. I let kids use the library's telephones to call home.

Because I am less busy, I feel in a way like I'm on vacation. I know it won't last forever, and I should enjoy it while it lasts, but I know before long I will become anxious for more activity and greater responsibility.

No comments: