Friday, April 18, 2008

Bay Terrace by Bicycle

My friend John picked up my bicycle at the bike shop yesterday, and I rode it to work for the first time today. It's a 1992 or 1993 aluminum Trek, which I had converted to a commuter. It now has pedals instead of cleats, and a rack on the back. It's a thing of beauty. The most beautiful thing about it is that by cycling I have cut my commuting time by two-thirds -- 30 minutes instead of an hour and a half.

Today I learned how to route in books, more knowledge that will become obsolete when we get the new ILS system, which will do the routing in automatically. One young lade must have had a field day putting in online requests. Today we received for her: College Girls, The Meaning of Wife, How to Teach Filthy Rich Girls and Wasted. Didn't somebody say once you are what you read? I did. I did. She sounds like a party girl to me.

I also for the first time in my life as a librarian pushed a book truck. Can you believe it? Three years a librarian before I ever pushed a book truck.

There are a few anachronistic things about the QBPL (or Qbippel, if you prefer) system that make me laugh. Men have to wear ties. That's an anachronism that doesn't make me laugh, but let's not go there. When books requested by male children or your adults come in to the requesting library,they are addressed to "Master" whoever.

Found two more books I want to read: Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum and How the Garcia Girld Lost Their Accents by Julia Alvarez. Where am I ever going to find the time, especially now that I'll no longer be spending three hours a day on the subway and bus.

No comments: